My first bamya

My first bamya

Today was a day for rejoicing. I made my first bamya (ocra) ever. The result was unexpectedly great. And the husband is willing to confirm this. I have been wanting to cook bamya for over a year but since I’m the queen of procrastination I kept puting it off.

But two days before we left Jordan last week, I went to my cousin Manal’s place, where she taught me all the tricks of making superb bamya. I tried it today for dinner and it worked wonderfully. Here is poof. Go ahead. You can click it; it gets bigger.

1. Luai January 11, 2005 at 7:06 pm

Looks absolutely delicious!! One of my favorite dishes. Do you fry the okra prior to putting it with the tomato sauce?

2. Linda January 11, 2005 at 8:23 pm

Meet Elf Mabrook, Natasha. It looks good, even though I do not eat bamya. Never will. Now how about some fasoulya?

3. iyas January 11, 2005 at 9:39 pm

Okh! First, eggnog, then waraq dawali and chili and now bamya! Mashallah mashallah; if you were not married I would have told you “khalas bidna njawzik”
    I was never a fan of bamya but I felt like it a while ago. Luckily we found some frozen ocra in the store so we got it. The surprise was when we opened the bag; each “ocrayayeh” was about 6 cm long and about 1.5 cm in diameter, and the seeds were as big as bell pepper seeds.
    Speaking of food, I am craving faqqoos now…

4. Ammar Ibrahim January 12, 2005 at 12:46 am

Are you sure you’re gonna be ok if you eat that? hehe kidding šŸ™‚ sa7tain

5. Dalia January 12, 2005 at 2:04 am

looks amazing.. I am sure it tastes even better!
    Any other recipes you need? I love cooking and love sharing recipes..
    kisses to you and jeff

6. Jad January 12, 2005 at 2:16 am

delicious!! bedi menoooooo

7. HIND SABANEKH January 12, 2005 at 2:52 am

GOOD JOB GIRL:) KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK:) LOOKS GOOD

8. natasha January 12, 2005 at 3:27 am

Thank you guys for your kind words. I have to admit I was dreading making this dish, but glad that everything turned out okay.
    Luai,
    Yeah, you fry the bamya and then you add the cooked meat and the sauce. I will give you the recipe if you are interested.
    Linda,
    I can’t believe you don’t eat Bamya. That’s the dish that I crave the most when I’m away from home. It ‘s just soooooo good.
    Dalia,
    7abeebti. I think my next challenge will be magloubeh;-)

9. iyas January 12, 2005 at 3:51 am

I have a challenge for you: Shushbarak!

10. Roba January 12, 2005 at 9:05 am

WOW! That does look good! Lol, it’s so fascinating how each “area” cooks the same thing in a different way šŸ™‚ We only cook bamyeh with lemon sauce.
    Keep it up!

11. Zaidoun January 12, 2005 at 11:50 am

What about a Mansaf with Jameed Karakeeee…
    You can do it Natasha:)

12. natasha January 12, 2005 at 12:52 pm

this is a tough one Zaidoun, but I will try;-) I will master this national dish some day;-)

13. khaldoon January 12, 2005 at 2:53 pm

To get poison from eating a well done Bamy you’ll need at least 2 weeks of time .So we’ll wait to see .Manal is very proud of you .

14. Linda January 13, 2005 at 12:50 am

Natasha, if you are gonna make the Mansaf, make it with lehma, not jage. Whats that song that says Mansaf ma jage isnt good…?

15. Natasha January 13, 2005 at 12:55 am

Just for you Linda, Iā€™m gonna sing the infamous song;-)
    “Mansaf bil jaj ma binfa3 urdonyeh
    Bidha mansaf billah7meh il baladiyeh
    Hey hey hey!”

16. Aunt K January 13, 2005 at 1:23 am

Ok, ochra, tomatoes, rice, what else?

17. Natasha January 13, 2005 at 2:02 am

Meat of course. I used veal in this dish. Also, I used tomatoe paste instead of tomatoes.

18. Dalia January 13, 2005 at 2:18 am

Teesh – Mansaf is super easy (much easier than bamia!) but the trick is to find good jameed (i’m sure zizo can help) and a good la77am.. I’ll send maglooba and mansaf recipes via email.. What kind of maglooba by the way?

19. Natasha January 13, 2005 at 4:03 am

Dalia 7abeebti,
    I have been craving Magloubeh with Zahra for a while now. It is my favorite among all the magloubeh types out there. I’m willing to take the challenge;-) Yalla bring on the recipe;-)

20. Linda January 13, 2005 at 4:11 am

Oh Natasha,
    You just made my day with singing that song. Only Jordanians would come up with a song like that for their national dish šŸ™‚
    Magloubeh? Ahh, dont get me started on that or I will start craving it. Ever tried it with potatoes as well with the zahra? Its a bute?

21. Hubby January 13, 2005 at 9:06 am

Well, of course, I have to proffer an opinion. Unfortunately, I’m no bamya expert, as I could be with say, meatloaf. But I had bamya a few times in my years in the kingdom. The best test, I think, was against the control group: the bamya Natasha assisted on that was cooked by cousin Manal right before we returned to Qatar. That bamya was the best in my short memory.
    I have to say this was right up there. And maybe it was using veal as an upscale alternative meat, but the meat was really fantastic. This, ladies and gentlemen, in my humble non-bamya expert opinion was pretty great stuff šŸ™‚
    Ya tika alafia dear wife šŸ™‚

22. Monique October 15, 2007 at 2:18 pm

Bamia is delicious esp, the next day for leftovers ,digging in with pita bread!

23. Summer February 27, 2008 at 1:54 am

Hi, i ran into this post by doing a search about Mansaf!! your bameyh looks great although by now i think you perfect the recipe, just felt like leaving you a comment. have a great day!

24. Phil Leddy June 23, 2009 at 10:23 pm

Hello all,
    I used to work in Amman, and fell in love woth a lot of the food there…especially Mansaf. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had the authentic recipe for mansaf. Thanks for any response. BTW, my email is paleddy62@yahoo.com