Golf: One Jordanian’s experience

Yes, we're all first-timers

It’s nearly 9:30 PM here and I’m already beat! The reason is that I was spending a very pleasant day engaging in a sport in which I have never taken a real interest: Golf. As Ghalia is still in town we decided to spend the day doing something out of the norm (at least for us). So we, joined by Amal, made our way to the Doha Golf Club. It was loads of fun, not only because it was such a unique experience but also because the weather was extremely pleasant and the place itself was very lush — something we miss deeply living as we do in the desert.

I have always known that I was horrible at sports and today was just another reminder. All my husband’s relentless efforts to teach me to swing the golf club were useless. I’m just not in tune with my body, that’s a fact that I have to live with. Regardless of my frustrating efforts to swing that damn club I had a great time, especially after I put down the club for a bit and spent the day taking pictures of our adventure. Would I do it again? Oh yeah, in a heartbeat. Click the pictures for enlargements

Ghalia gets ready
Time for pictures
Hubby gives it a whack

1. Roba February 9, 2005 at 6:54 pm

Wow, you guys actually look warm!

2. linda February 9, 2005 at 8:42 pm

Wow, that looks like so much fun. Looksl ike you had a great time. And as I keep on saying, it does not look so boring in Doha.

3. iyas February 9, 2005 at 8:58 pm

Golf? Mashallah mashallah how “bourgeoisie”! Yirham jdoodik they used to play 7 hjar šŸ˜€
    Sorry i just feel like being a jerk…

4. Roba February 9, 2005 at 9:00 pm

hehe, Iyas, you crack me up šŸ™‚

5. natasha February 9, 2005 at 9:07 pm

See Iyas, I tried to do something “um-madaba” like by playing Golf. It didn’t work out;-) Back to 7jar;-)

6. iyas February 9, 2005 at 11:47 pm

Natasha I haven’t even mastered this game on my cell phone. I tried playing miniature golf a few times but my wife kept beating me. Personally, I am sticking with “basra”.

7. Ammar Ibrahim February 10, 2005 at 2:28 am

Reminds me of “Happy Gilmore” šŸ˜‰

8. Wendy February 10, 2005 at 3:09 am

So you don’t even have to pick up a piece of turf and carry it around? There is enough water to keep grass green? Ya salaam!
    Yea, I’m freezing here in Amman with Roba. Any photos of your nieces playing in the snow we had?

9. linda February 10, 2005 at 4:06 am

Iyas, speaking of minature golf, I have a funny story about my father and his cousin when they came to America from Jordan and played minature golf for the first time.
    Not knowing the rules, they played at the first course. They thought that the point was to see who would get the ball in the whole with the least amount of trys. That being part of the game, they did not know that you are supposed to move on to the next course. They thought the first one was just for them and they stayed at it for like an hour. A line started forming behind them with a whole lot of people waiting for them to move on.
    My father thought all the people waiting were actually watching him because they were impressed with how he was playing. It wasnt until the owner came out to them and yelled at them that they finally understood how to play the game.

10. amal February 10, 2005 at 1:54 pm

Iyas, there was definately a colonial atmosphere at the golf course! I’ve always thought it was a very ‘shi-shi’ (to use a term Natasha imported with her) sport. But it was really fun because we were obviously goofing around while everyone else was taking themselves very seriously šŸ™‚

11. iyas February 10, 2005 at 3:20 pm

Linda, you story is hilarious. It reminds me of stories I heard about older generation Arab immigrants. One of them goes like: An older grandma purportedly from the Madaba branch of the family went to visit her son in the US. She changed her traditional “thobe” for a “western” dress to sort of “blend in”. Somehow, and I am not sure how the story goes here but, she was left alone in a park. So she sat on a bench, parted her legs (as if she was about to start doing the laundry in a big dish) and started slapping her thighs and yelling “ana 3arab thaye3…ana 3arab thaye3”
    Amal, I know what you mean with “colonial atmosphere”, I also think that golf has a “shi-shi” dimension to it but I think I will enjoy it if I play it. It just happened that every time I come close to playing it, something comes up.

12. Pili March 7, 2005 at 6:49 am

Patosilla!
    Jeff looks like he knows what he’s doing…