Farewell my friend …

Gulf Silhouettes

Our good friend Amal is leaving Doha for good next week and relocating home to Beirut, Lebanon. We are very happy for her as it is a great career move. Not only will she be in her own country
surrounded by family and friends, but she will get to report from Lebanon during very interesting times. We will miss her dearly. Doha will never be the same without her. We wish her all the luck in the world. She really deserves the best.

Here is a picture that the husband took last week of Amal and myself enjoying the sea along a beach in Dukhhan, Qatar.

1. amal April 16, 2005 at 2:43 pm

Natasha,
    Even though we’ve only know each other for a short time, you are one of my best friends. Thank you for reminding me what’s important in life-a good film; a beautiful picture; a good laugh; a home-cooked meal. Thank you for introducing me to new films and books. Do you know that you are the only friend I have that I can discuss these things with?
    Remember the first time we cooked at your house? I’ll never forget the comfortable silence between us as you cooked a proper meal and I made your sister’s bannana bread šŸ™‚
    You were the biggest influence on me this year to get my priorities straight; or at least you showed me that getting out of Doha was the first step. It’s funny we’re leaving at the same time; we’re just not meant to stick it out in the desert alone, I guess.
    Excuse the mushiness, but you deserve it babe šŸ™‚ I hope no one vomits after reading this, particularly Iyas because last time he threw up it seemed to be quite dramatic.

2. jareer April 16, 2005 at 3:17 pm

I still think “Amal” owes “Hummos” an apology for speaking harsh on a great Arab traditional meal (through criticizing Linda- if my memory still serves me)saying all what they know is Hummos and pop music singers. Eversince I heard that cute spontaneous comment on this blog, I keep cracking up when I make Hommos and ask myself whether this is the only thing we do good here in the USA.

3. amal April 16, 2005 at 3:43 pm

Jareer,
    I swear I meant no offence to Hummous! This is one of my favorite dishes, especially with falafel. At the time the comments were aimed at Linda, not chickpeas. I was saying that-unfortunately-many Arab-Americans believe eating Hummous makes them part of this region. Glad you get to smile when you cook, though. I usually end up close to tears šŸ™‚

4. Jeff April 16, 2005 at 4:25 pm

Amal, it really has been a pleasure, a blessing in fact, truly. We do hope you make out well. We’ll always be thinking of you, wishing you the absolute best. I know I’ll always be thinking about you when I eat hummous. We’ll catch you on the other side, sister.

5. amal April 16, 2005 at 4:37 pm

Aaah, Jeff, please, please, please don’t think just because I didn’t name you I wasn’t thinking of you when I wrote that comment! You really are a brilliant photographer and one day I’ll get to say I have a friend who works at National Geographic. Natasha is lucky to be married to you-can you please just get her to see what an incredibly talented, smart, gorgeous woman she is?

6. Jeff April 16, 2005 at 4:52 pm

Perish the thought Amal. No need to say so, though I do appreciate your kind words. I am working on the little woman. One day I’ll get to say that fantastic wonderful and *fully empowered* woman is my wife šŸ™‚ I think once we get her onto more stable ground she’ll set up proper like šŸ˜‰

7. Roba April 16, 2005 at 4:56 pm

That’s a REALLY nice picture(as usual)! I love the pose, the shoes/flipflops, and the absolutely stunning colors. Way to go Jeff!
    As for Amal leaving, inshalla all the best ya Amal:)

8. Linda April 16, 2005 at 5:04 pm

By the way am not that big of a fan of hummos. LIke isaid, that comment is so played out Amal šŸ˜‰

9. kinzi April 18, 2005 at 1:23 am

Amal, all the best. I’ll look forward to hearing your perspective from Lebanon.

10. Luai April 18, 2005 at 9:08 am

All the best to ya Amal. I have really enjoyed reading about the adventures of you and Natasha…and of course Jeff. His amazing knack of capturing the “road trips” you all took put us right there with ya’ll for the ride!
    Best wishes and good luck.

11. iyas April 18, 2005 at 11:07 pm

Only Arabs can manage to turn a farwell conversation into hummous-related one.
    My wife just drew my attention to this post. I must have missed it in the gamish of posts and comments on this blog. Best of luck Amal, I am sure we’ll still be in e-touch with your comments and thoughts. But…when did I dramatically throw up? I have no recollection, therefore it must have been that night I overdrank.

12. amal April 19, 2005 at 5:09 pm

Thanks to everyone for the kind words, will keep u updated on the new posting in Beirut and the situation there. Iyas, sorry, it wasn’t you who did all the vommiting, it was Amin šŸ™‚