Roba "book-tagged" me a long time ago but I never got around to responding for one reason or another. Now that I have some time on my hands here is my response:
The number of books I own: I really do not have any idea. I gave away some while we were hopping continents and I left a big chunk at my parents house in Jordan so I really can’t give an exact figure. I would say maybe 2 or 300. I really don’t know.
The last book I bought: Kissing in Manhattan. I read so many reviews hailing this novel that is supposed to be the story of New Yorkers struggling with life. Somehow this intrigued me. We’ll see.
The last book I read: How the Garcia Girls Lost their Accents. I bought it after it was mentioned on Mariam’s blog and frankly I hated it. I thought it was disjointed although it had some interesting moments here and there.
The five books that mean a lot to me:
- The Unbearable Lightness of Being: It is an absolute masterpiece by one of my all-time favorite writers: Milan Kudnera.
- The World According to Garp: I read this book so many years ago that I really can’t remember much. One thing I remember, though, was that when I finished this book I had a huge smile on my face, something that rarely happens after I finish reading any certain book.
- In the Eye of the Sun: Ahdaf Sweif really excelled in this book. It is a book that many women can relate to in the Arab world.
- Love in the Time of Cholera: This book occupies a special place in my heart, as it played a central role in our early days of courtship.
- The Ground Beneath Her Feet: A very beautifully written love story. Although it drags forever, the writing style is really out of this world.
The book I’ve been trying to finish forever: The Lord of the Rings. I’m sorry Roba, I tried!