Jill named recipient of international media award

The same day that the kidnappers freed American freelancer Jill Carroll, the International Women’s Media Foundation (IWMF) named her the recipient of its prestigious Courage in Journalism Award.

Shortly after the news broke of Carroll’s release, the IWMF announced that she would receive the Courage in Journalism Award. The award honors women who show an exceptional commitment to journalistic integrity despite imminent danger. The foundation gives the award to three journalists each year, and Carroll is the first recipient of 2006. It includes a cash prize of US$5,000. The foundation will honor the recipients at two awards dinners: one in New York on October 24 and the second in Los Angeles on November 2. The honorees typically spend the time between the dinners traveling across the country, participating in receptions and panel discussions

Source: [Ijnet]

Jill adresses the CSM

Such a nice gesture and so well deserved. In other development, the Monitor has put up a video of Jill addressing the staff at CSM headquarters in Boston. The video is very touching. I was thrilled to see that Jill is still her old self — a very animated and speedy talker. We love you Jill and can’t wait to see you.

1. caro April 3, 2006 at 10:54 pm

What about Allen’s Family? Who’s helping them?

2. Brian Ulrich April 3, 2006 at 11:25 pm

I read somewhere the Monitor was helping his family. I also donated a bit to a collection Fayrouz took up. It’s worth remembering that the one person I’ve seen mention him was Jill, in her statement. If there’s a lack of reference to him in the current round of stories, it’s a product of a media that focuses on Americans and wants a happy homecoming story.

3. WM April 4, 2006 at 10:45 am

Somehow, I bet this won’t be the last we hear of Allen Enwiyah if Jill has anything to say about it. I don’t really know her, but she just doesn’t seem liket the type to let a fallen friend be forgotten

4. Sabrina April 4, 2006 at 11:35 am

All praise is to God – who aided in Jill’s release. Although I have no tie to Jill Caroll – I still was hurting when she was held captive – and like you all – am ecstatic about her release. I just wanted to post as a sidenote to all of this. Let’s not forget the core of the issue. The main idea: Jill was captured and held in a small room for many days by people who wanted all women captive’s released. The big picture: The captive’s didn’t hurt Jill, they released her, they didn’t do anything to her, they didn’t even get what they wanted, without a doubt – they held an innocent woman for their own reasons. Why is it that when Jill was held captive the media openly portrayed their discontent for the way these captives were acting. However, when they release Jill – no one, and i mean NO ONE comments on how they did not treat her badly, they let her go AND more than that, they didn’t even get what they want! Do remember that these people who held Jill captive are also human, they, like Jill’s family, have families. They have wives, sisters, mothers. From what I read, a wonderful sister of ours is still alive, still smiling. They don’t have the comfort to know that their women are smiling or more than that, even alive. Know that their only means of voicing their opinion is this – by attracting attention to the media. After Jill’s been released – the mayhem for us is over – but their mayhem continues and forever will. Please, readers of this blog – you all seem like kind people – don’t let injustice just walk you by. An eye for an eye – will truly make the world blind. Atleast, speak up – and maybe one day we’ll make a difference. Or will it take another sister’s life to be really taken for us to understand what they’re trying to say…?

5. Albert DeNiro April 4, 2006 at 1:14 pm

Sabrina, what you saying? First of all, dear sister, get over it, there aint no God or god, so your ALL PRAISE to God is silly in this context and more so, when you add “who AIDED” Jill’s release? Which god you be talking about there? Allah or Jehovah or Jesus the Son or Buddha or who? Get your gods straight before you post here. You barking up the wrong tree. God had nothing to do with this. Or, you could say, that our perverse notions of some Middle Eastern godhood had everything to do with this.
    2. Are you saying that the kidnappers terrorists have God on their side? That their greivances are bona fide? I think Nero is fiddling now, Sabrina. Listen!

6. Skye April 4, 2006 at 1:40 pm

Sabrina,
    First, I don’t think anyone really knows how Jill was treated by her captors. But it is irrelevant because just the fact that she was held captive is bad enough. Being help captive for three months kind of sucks wouldn’t you say? Doesn’t matter if they fed her and let her use the washroom etc..Oh and how nice of them not to kill her..
    I have no sympathy for her captors. None. I hate everything about this war and I feel great pain for ths Iraqi people but that doesn’t mean I have to feel bad for Jill Carroll’s kidnappers.

7. WM April 4, 2006 at 2:56 pm

Sorry, Sabrina, 2 wrongs don’t make a right. And even if coalition troops MAY be holding Iraqis unjustly, Jill had absolutely nothing to do with this, which makes her kidnapping doubly wrong.

8. dm April 4, 2006 at 4:44 pm

Sabrina,
    Although I can see where you are coming from (sort of), I have absolutely NO sympathy for Jill’s captors. Jill is an innocent woman and is not responsible for this war. She never should’ve been kidnapped to begin with. No one should be kidnapped!
    Many people who read this blog (myself included) do not know Jill personally; however, over the past few months we’ve grown to adore her for one reason or another. Yes, her captors are human beings, but I’m not about to commend them for not killing Jill. No one except for Jill, and whomever she has chosen to share her experiences with, knows truly, how she was treated. Even if they didn’t touch one hair on her head, I still don’t sympathize with her captors, nor do I condone their actions.
    I respect your honesty and truly admire you for having such a forgiving heart. Maybe that makes you a better person than me. Who knows? However, I challenge you to ask yourself one thing: If Jill were your daughter or your sister, would you feel the same way you do now? I know that if Jill were my sister, my heart would be filled with even more anger and resentment than it already is. Kidnapping is vile, no matter who does it. What Jill’s captors did is evil and they are, in Jill’s own words, “…criminals, at best.”

9. Fadi April 5, 2006 at 3:03 am

I totally agree that Jill’s kidnappers did the wrong thing and I don’t agree with what they did.
    Here again I would like to go back to what seems to be my theme of any message I’ve posted on this blog before.
    Why are these things happening, what is the root cause of the problem. How can we overcome these challenges.
    I wish people would pay more attention to that. Jill’s release came as good news to all of us. But do you truly think the problem is over?
    Again, I see the same problems in Nigeria where I live and work. Over the past few months, several foreign hostages have been taken. All oil workers ofcourse that are as innocent as Jill, however, the media seems not to have much interest in that. But again here, the hostges are released and people seem to forget about the problem until another hostage is taken. I think the problem is bigger than one hostage being taken and released.
    Cheers
    Fadi

10. Aida Bainfield April 5, 2006 at 12:15 pm

One thing nobody has discussed anywhere in the Blogworld is this:
    Jill Carroll was NO ”journalist”. She was a something else. What do you mean she
    was a ”freelance reporter” for the Christian Science Monitor? Who says
    so? The Christian Science Monitor has its own reporters who could go
    to Iraq to report. She worked before at the Jordan Times. She studied
    Arabic in Cairo. She was most likely some kind spy for the CIA or KBG or
    Arab CIA, and her “job” as freelance reporter for CSM was most likely
    a ”COVER” for her work as a spy or ”message deliverer”. She was no
    ”freelance reporter”. She had never even stepped foot in the CSM
    newsroon in Boston before last week, so how on Earth did she ever get
    “hired” for the CSM? Someone somewhere is not telling the truth about
    Jill Carroll’s real ”intentions” in the Middle East and her real role as
    a quote unquote ”reporter”. She was no reporter. She was using her role
    as reporter as a ”cover” for something very scary. Wait till it all
    comes out. Soon. Even as we speak…..”
    The truth will out at some point. She is a good person, don’t get me wrong. But she was being USED by someone, some group, some intl ring. Many spies work as freelance reporters as cover. Ask William F Buckley, master spy of them all!

11. WM April 5, 2006 at 3:28 pm

Aida, the Christian Science Monitor operates EXCLUSIVELY on donations and subscriptions and DOES NOT solicit advertising revenue. It is cheaper to buy stories from freelancers than to maintain overseas staff reporters. That is why the CSM didn’t send staff reporters to Iraq and used freelancers like Jill Carroll. And Jill didn’t just write for the CSM. She also sold stories to Newsweek, MSNBC, and an Italian news agency.
    And Jill Carroll was not the only one. Christina Asquith also freelanced for the CSM and had a similar approach to Jill. Was she a spy too? And what about Kelley Spinner? Was she also a spy?
    Yes, I know journalists have worked as spies, but your support for this allegation is weak. This is purely speculation, and somewhat far-fetched in my opinion.

12. Aida Bainfield April 5, 2006 at 11:27 pm

WM,
    Good points, and yes, I think all the CSM reporters in Bahgdad are stringers or freelancers, true. But let’s get the straight: the Christian Science Monitor is one weird newspaper: it is owned by a Christian cult founded by Mary Baker Eddy, and even the editor praised Ms Eddy when announcing Jill’s release from captivity! What? Donations and subs? No way, WM! The Christian Science Church is very rich organization, and its newspaper, which is basically unread, except by journalists and editors around the world (no normal people read it daily, except online for free, for its very good news!) and the newspaper is the church’s way of doing PR of the public to say, see, we might be culty kooks with this Mary Baker Eddy thing, but we sure know how to put out a good newspaper, and you don’t have to be a cult member to be a reporter or editor. Although I think the current editor is a member of the church. Anyways, everyone knows that the CSM is a perfect cover for CIA or other agency spies to work for, and that is how it is used. Do the math. Why on Earth was Jill in Iraq? She was against the war, she was pro-Arab and anti-Israel, pro-Islam and anti-American progressive sweet girl next door with progressive ideas, and she got herself inserted into this mess, using the CSM as a cover. It will all come out. How do I know? Been there, done that. Watch!

13. Hareega April 6, 2006 at 3:29 am

Regarding Enwiyah’s I saw a report on CNN where Jill called his wife and his family in Amman and explained her sorrow and some feeling of guilt for his assasination, his family told her that they consider her one of them.
    The situation in Iraq is very complicated and that leads to some conslusions which I find a bit crazy, like Jill being a CIA agent or the abdictors being angels…etc,
    I still cannot recognize who can the abductors be? They are definitely not al-qaeda otherwise they would have killed her immediately because they believe that such acts would send them to heaven. I’m just wondering who is supporting those people?? They are a lot of people and they have lots of money…. where did they get it from?
    Are they kidnapping people for money or what?

14. WM April 6, 2006 at 9:26 am

Aida, these are still speculations. Where is the proof? “It will all come out” can be used to “prove” just about anything. Could we at least hold off on the speculation until there is actually proof lest we accuse an innocent? Jill simply being a stringer for the CSM proves nothing.
    And on what do you base your accusations that Jill is anti-Isreal, pro-Islam and anti-American? Jill considers herself Catholic, and she cooperated fully with U.S. officials and military personel after her release. Being sympathetic with common Iraqis who are victims of armed conflict does not make her an anti-semite or guilty of treason. I’m certainly no muslim, I despise terrorism, and I don’t hate my country, but I feel horrible about the Iraqis who are killed, kidnapped and tortured every day. Does that make me anti-Isreal, pro-Islam, and anti-American?
    BTW, many people do actually read the CSM. Many scholars, government officials and people involved in international trade and affairs read it because it is considered to be a quality news source.
    Too much speculation with absolutely nothing for support can hurt people unnecessarily. I’ve been THERE, done THAT.

15. WM April 6, 2006 at 9:29 am

Let me clarify something. The phrase “I’m certainly no muslim” above should not be read as an indication that I have anything against muslims. I simply do not share their religious beliefs.

16. suzan April 6, 2006 at 4:13 pm

I am getting sick of this topic.

17. dm April 6, 2006 at 5:38 pm

I’ll tell you what I’m sick of. I’m sick of everyone saying that Jill is one thing or another when they don’t even know her. I’ve heard a list of things that people claim she is. Here are some of them: An extreme liberal, and extreme conservative, “too Christian”, “not Christian enough”, a traitor, an Iraqi, an American-hater, and Islam-lover, an Israel-hater, a member of the CIA, not really a journalist (Jill was just kidding-pretending), a spy, someone who faked the whole kidnapping, she was never held hostage, she went to Iraq with the plan of faking her kidnapping to prove a point…and much, much more.
    To those of you who have made these accusations–have you ever met her? Do you know her personally? Have you ever had a conversation with her? As far as being a liberal, has she ever said that? As far as being a conservative, has she ever said that either? I’ve read a lot of her writing and she never once expressed her personal views. I am not going to jump to any conclusions that she is a liberal, or a conservative–and as far as everything else I’ve heard, it makes me crazy to think that there are people (again, I remind you these people never met her or even had any conversations with her) who truly believe these things.
    As I’ve stated many times in the past, I don’t know Jill. I have no idea what her political views are, nor is it anyone’s business. All I listen to is what she says with her writing, which does not reflect her personal views. It’s factual and objective as far as I’m concerned. She cares about the people of Iraq…okay, where’s the fault in that? I listen to people who actually KNOW her, true reliable sources. They say nothing but wonderful things. I’ve never heard anyone speak ill of her that actually KNOWS her or has met her. That is what I go by, the facts.

18. Skye April 6, 2006 at 5:53 pm

Well said dm.

19. WM April 6, 2006 at 6:28 pm

DM and Skye, thanks for the reality check.

20. Aida Bainfield April 7, 2006 at 12:42 am

well said, yes, dm. we all need a reality check from time to time. thanks.

21. Jeff April 7, 2006 at 1:22 am

Indeed Aida, you truly do. Speaking as someone who did know Jill, I can tell you that the information you’ve put into these forums is the worst kind of unsupported BS I’ve yet read. You don’t have a clue about what you are saying. Check yourself and, better, keep it to yourself.

22. Susan April 7, 2006 at 1:51 am

I do not have doubt that she is a decent woman. However I wonder about her judgment to be in Iraq at a time like this. I am so glad that she is back and safe but she needs to be careful and use common sense. Peace

23. WM April 7, 2006 at 10:05 am

Foreign correspondents often go in harms way to tell stories that need to be told. That’s what they do. Someone needs to tell the story of Iraq. If not Jill, then someone else. I’m not ready to question her motivations, judgement, or common sense from the safety of my computer in my warm, comfortable home.
    This is the last thing I will say about all this.

24. dm April 7, 2006 at 11:09 am

WM, I agree. Everyone has different dreams and aspirations in life. Jill’s was to be a foreign correspondent, so she went to Iraq to follow and achieve that dream. Thank God for her and people like her, because otherwise we’d have no clue about what’s going on over there. Speaking for myself, she’s opened my eyes to the truth. Would I ever go over there? Absolutely not, but I’m not going to judge her motivations or question her (or any other reporter for that matter) about why she chose to go to Iraq. I’m going to be an RN next month, and many people think I’m crazy for wanting to do that. Perhaps Jill would be one of them, I don’t know. But that is my dream and I’m following it, so I’m not going to pounce on Jill for following hers. Actually, I admire her for it and commend her on her bravery.

25. WM April 7, 2006 at 12:03 pm

DM, I was going to shut up now, but I just wanted to congratulate you on becoming an RN next month. I “get it.” I was studying to be a lawyer at one time and now find myself laboring at a junior college in the economically-challenged borderlands of the Southwest. And loving every minute of it!
    I have a relative who is a nurse, and she finds it very rewarding. I literally thank God there are people like you who want to do this. It is a noble calling.

26. hareega April 7, 2006 at 1:48 pm

Yep nurses and schools teachers have the most 2 respcted jobs in the US. Doctors…. naaaaaaah

27. dm April 7, 2006 at 2:20 pm

WM and Hareega, thank you so much for saying that. It’s greatly appreciated!

28. WM April 7, 2006 at 3:13 pm

Don’t know about doctors and nurses, but try this. Average salary for a major league ballplayer: $3 million per year. Average salary for a teacher in my county: $35,000 per year. Yep, we sure got OUR priorities straight!
    O.K., I’ll be quiet now.

29. dm April 7, 2006 at 9:47 pm

Let’s not forget about the 6 month/year paid vacation that the major leaguers get as well…

30. Pax Americanna April 8, 2006 at 3:11 am

I heard this online, from a fellow blogger:
    “Like that rich little high school kid from Florida who went to Baghdad to report on the scene, like those two evangelists from Texas who were captured and held in Kabul a few years ago, in my opinion, Jill Carroll made her own mess… She was not a journalist on assignment. She was a “freelancer,” which means she had no reason to be there. She was hoping to peddle her scribblings when she got back, or so she claims. If she was not employed as a reporter, then she was there merely as a thrill-seeker, or as some suggest, perhaps she fancied herself a spy. In any case, she …presented an impediment to the military effort (another ridiculous caprice which I adamantly oppose). Nonetheless, we are there, and every idiot who goes meddling in this puts our boys at further unnecessary risk.”

31. dm April 8, 2006 at 10:06 am

I will reference my previous post–has this person ever MET Jill or spoken with her? Did she actually pull him aside and share all this with this blogger? “She was hoping to peddle her scribblings when she got back, or so she claims.” I know that I never heard Jill say this. Did she write to this blogger and “claim” this to him/her?
    Again, I’m so happy that people REALLY know what they’re talking about before all this BS pours out of their mouths and pens.

32. David April 8, 2006 at 1:52 pm

Pax Americanna, why post this? Do you agree with this particular blogger? Does he/she have any more support for his/her statements than Aida Bainfield did earlier in this blog?
    I think Jill’s attempts at objectivity may actually be having a negative effect. It is easy to project almost any opinions onto someone who does not project their own opinions into what they write or say.
    Jill was sympathetic to common people affected by the war. True. She said so herself, but many people share this sympathy, myself included. She also spoke of being Christian and thanked her mother for raising her Catholic. Aside from this, she has said ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about her motivations or beliefs. Anything else is pure speculation.

33. David April 8, 2006 at 2:36 pm

Dear Pax, I got an email from this same blogger. He sent the passage you quoted above to me to show how he had made assumptions and comments about Jill’s political and religious convictions in an attempt at sarcastic humor. So these statements were intended as just that: humor. Humor in very poor taste, perhaps, but humor. Not to be taken seriously.
    DM, I think you and I are mostly in agreement here about the assumptions being made about Jill, but perhaps it’s just best to ignore these people. I think by responding we just add fuel to the fire.

34. dm April 8, 2006 at 6:58 pm

David, you’re right…it’s not worth it.

35. Republican Vet April 28, 2006 at 9:27 pm

So, I can stage a kidnapping hoax in Iraq and be praised for it? None of this makes sense and in case you forgot, here’s my take.
    === The Hoax ===
    Jill Carroll’s faulty story has been proven to be the largest kidnapping hoax in the war in Iraq
    Let’s break a few things down and we’ll see what we can come up with.
    http://images.capitalnews9.com/media/2006/1/30/images/01___jillcarroll2.jpg Her first picture: She’s still dressed as an American but does that look like the face of a woman abducted at gunpoint by terrorists? Her face looks a little routine, if you ask me. She looks like she’s getting the first stage of the hoax out of the way and she’s just making a brief appearance. If this were truely a kidnapped woman, taken at gunpoint by terrorists, my guess is she’d be crying hysterically and begging for her life. But ask yourself a few questions.

1. Having seen what happens to “freelance” folks in Iraq, even to some contractors, why would you venture into the middle of a war zone without a destination and without a set purpose? And if I get the libertard answer that “one person can make a difference” I’m gonna puke. Any idiot knows if they go into a war zone without a calling, their chances of getting killed are huge. So, if this is real, did she ask for this? Yes, just like Nick Berg did.
    2. She claimed to have been kidnapped at gunpoint and that her translator was killed. Having seen yesterday’s news, we learn that, in fact, her translator was not killed. The rumor that the translator was killed sure was a good way to make this hoax look seriously real. But where’s the translator? He hightailed it outta there because this is Jill Carroll’s stage. This is her spotlight. We can’t have a woman and a translator dying for Arab women. We can only have an American woman die.
    3. Once again, in a world, in a religion where women are hated and treated like dogs, why would “terrorists” be demanding the release of women? What’s more is if they hate women so badly, why are “terrorists” sparing Carroll’s life?
    4. Why is the release of female prisoners such a priority if we just released 5 of them and the US is only holding 6 more? This “kidnapping” is about 6 detained females? 6 females hated by their society and religion? Can it get any more ridiculous than that?
    5. If her “terrorist captives” hate women so badly and we haven’t met their demands, why hasn’t she been killed? I thought terrorists were hardcore killers? But they’re holding out for 6 women?
    6. Who are these “sources close to the kidnappers” who are giving all this information?
    7. If the captors are serious about this ordeal and she’s in such danger, why would these unknown sources reveal that she’s in a “safe house” owned by one of the kidnappers in downtown Baghdad? Can’t we trace stuff like that? Don’t we have the capability of locating a house where hostages are being held? Of course we do, so why would they reveal that much info? Because she’s not there, they’re not terrorists and this whole thing is a hoax.
    8. What exactly is a “safe house” where terrorists hold Americans hostage and threaten to slaughter them? I didn’t hear Nick Berg’s captors tell anyone he was being held in a “safe house.”
    9. Jill Carroll tells America to “give the terrorists whatever they want.” Right? But the report we get says the kidnappers have “more specific demands than releasing all women from jail,” ‘but refused to disclose these demands.'” Riiiiiiiiiiiight.
    10. If you put a deadline on someone’s life that if you didn’t get all your demands met by that time you’d kill them, why wouldn’t you release the details of all your demands? Possibly because they need to think of some more? Possibly related to females in that area? Mark my words, they’ll have no other demands unless they’re related to women.
    11. Her kidnappers say they have to kill her “according to Islamic law.” What exactly is this Islamic law and why would women freelance into this land if Islamic law requires them to be killed?
    12. Her kidnappers claim Carroll is in “good psychological condition.” Are you kidding me? Terrorists now give a damn about a captive’s state of mind? Even after they’ve put out a deadline until their murder? And who did this psych eval? Do they have doctors in the “safe house,” tending to captives who are going to be killed?
    13. NONE OF THIS MAKES SENSE!
    14. The report also says Carroll is “doing housework with the other women in the place where she’s being held.” Again, ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!?! She’s doing housework because she’s not a captive. Why would a terrorist disclose that information anyway? This sounds like Queer Eye For The Terrorist Guy. They’ve given her a makeover, she’s wearing Arab clothing now, she’s doing housework………where does it end? Will this ever begin to look like a real kidnapping?
    15. And finally, I know my family’s response even when I was in the military and spent 277 days in a combat zone, but let’s take a civilian’s family into the spotlight this time. What would your family say to you if you came home from work one day and told them you were going to Iraq to “make a difference?” They’d beg you not to go because it’s not safe, it’s a combat zone, it’s a terrorist’s haven and you WILL GET YOURSELF KILLED!
    16. Ignoring those facts, are you just asking to die if you’re untrained for a combat zone but go anyway? Yes. You are asking to be killed.

And mark my words, ladies and gentlemen. If Jill Carroll ends up dead, it will be because of one thing and one thing only………….

It’ll be a choreographed killing, planned out to look real but ultimately make Jill Carroll look like a martyr for the Arab Woman. I can see it now.

“Poor Jill Carroll. She was killed because 6 Arab women weren’t released from US custody. Damn that President Bush. He doesn’t give in to terrorist’s demands and doesn’t release terror suspects. He killed Jill Carroll. Poor Jill Carroll. “

Sounds nice, huh?

She’ll die by her own hands. Sure, someone else may do the actual killing and they may even get it on video tape, but this whole ordeal is a hoax and if she dies it’ll be because she has requested it to “send a message.” My guess? The U.S. won’t give in to some lame terrorist group staging a kidnapping and Jill Carroll will miraculously escape or be rescued because they’ll finally realize they’re fighting a losing battle. She’ll either have to gather the guts of a martyr and actually die for the Arab woman’s cause or they’ll dream up some stupid rescue or escape story.

Analysis Written By: Republican Vet @ http://republicanvet.blogspot.com on 11Feb2006 before Jill Carroll’s “miraculous” release, after weeks of silence and multiple “failed” “execution deadlines.”