On sleep deprivation

Cup of Starbucks

You know you are sleep-deprived when you go to the nearest Starbucks to get your daily caffeine dose and the woman behind the counter looks at you, smiles and says: "You need coffee."

1. ABOUD September 8, 2006 at 11:13 am

Dear Natasha,

Aren’t you ashamed of yourself to go to starbucks, even if you live in the states, that doesn’t make you less Arabic person.

Even if you don’t consider yourself as an Arabic person, I think that being a human being who cares for the life of other humans should make you stop doing that.

When are we Arabs going to make a move for our own cases.
    Can’t you drink your coffe from any other place for the sake of your nation!!!
    Children and women are dying!

Thanks

2. natasha September 8, 2006 at 11:22 am

No Aboud, I’m not ashamed. I love their coffee. You are entitled to boycotting them but you do not have the right to judge those who decide not to conform to your way of life.

I’m afraid This blog is Starbucks-friendly. You are welcome to visit but be warned, I might mention Starbucks again!

3. jareer September 8, 2006 at 11:31 am

I have a good picture of Starbucks in Jordan with lots of.. lining up to get some. How can I post it here?

4. Iman September 8, 2006 at 11:44 am

Hi Natasha,
    I personally don’t drink Starbucks, but I like their ‘The way I see it’ features on cups! Anyway, I can forward you something that you can use at any starbucks. It really works. I can’t find your email on your site, so if you’re intersted send me an email and I can pass it on to you!

5. Moey September 8, 2006 at 11:49 am

good choice Natasha 😉

6. euroarabe September 8, 2006 at 11:53 am

hilarious post!!!!

leish sleep deprived madaba? kheir??

7. Beti September 8, 2006 at 12:01 pm

I personally think that Starbucks has the crappiest coffee on the planet, but I still love reading your blog 😉
    Cheers!

8. Amino September 8, 2006 at 12:06 pm

Aboud, judging people for what you believe in is the epitome of bigotry, you can not impose your own convictions on Natasha just because of a common factor such as: religion, nationality, etc…

9. Hamako September 8, 2006 at 12:08 pm

I am sure she only drinks starbucks coffee only when they feature the arabesque or Tazo roasts. Ashamed gal, khodlak 3ad. 10 points for your diplomacy natasha.

On a slightly sadder note, I asked the starbucks lady here in london to add some half n’ half to my coffee, she looked at me like I was a unicorn. Reason #154 why America rocks Europe: half and half.

10. Onzlo September 8, 2006 at 1:25 pm

Starbucks sucks, its not coffee people it tastes like car tyres soaked in water.

Reason #13452 why Europe rocks America: proper real coffee.

11. Qwaider قويدر September 8, 2006 at 1:28 pm

I wouldn’t mind having Caffeine in an IV drip! … Caffeinate me …
    But being a Seattlelite, I can tell you with authority, Starbucks coffee aint dat good

Starbucks : Coffee :: MacDonald’s : Beef

12. Amal September 8, 2006 at 2:42 pm

I am a fan of Second Cup-a CANADIAN coffee franchise, Natasha…hehehehe, the patriotic streak in me 🙂

13. Jeff September 8, 2006 at 2:42 pm

I don’t think anybody is playing favorites here. It’s what’s convenient. I won’t wait in insane lines for a cup of coffee when I can get the same from any one of a myriad of other spots and for less. It’s not that the coffee at Starbucks is bad — it’s not. It’s just not worth the wait — 30 mins many times in and around DC — when the coffee isn’t that special. Though sometimes it’s the only alternative.

But soon we will bear witness to the coffee wars, as Dunkin Donuts prepares to bring the noise to DC and Baltimore, opening something on the order of 325 stores by the year 2010 (More here if interested [need to register]) in the area. Now I’m no coffee gourmet, but Dunkin makes a good cup of Joe.

14. Brian Ulrich September 8, 2006 at 4:47 pm

All of you people are idiots. If you want a good, fast cup of coffee with good service at an affordable price, go to the University of Wisconsin – Madison bookstore.

I wonder if they have a branch in Jerusalem…

15. Mike September 8, 2006 at 7:53 pm

Oh God. That sounds scary. “You need coffee.”

That’s what you get for staying up all night on the Internet and watching TV until — the cows come home — for lack of a better cliche.

What’s worried me lately, is that I seem to get the same effect from drinking decaffeinated as I did with regular coffee. Maybe caffeine lingers in the system and only needs its old enabler, coffee, to ignite it again?

Or, am I in deep trouble?

Anyone got a nice mocha or frappachino they can pass me? I am not addicted to coffee. I am not addicted…

16. Skin September 9, 2006 at 2:15 am

“but you do not have the right to judge those who decide not to conform to your way of life.”

I will use this line next time.

Thanks
    KKK

17. Skinhead September 9, 2006 at 2:19 am

“judging people for what you believe in is the epitome of bigotry,”

YES, YOU ARE SO CORRECT. RESPECT THE BELIFES OF OTHERS EVEN IF YOU DON’T AGREE WITH THEM.

Thanks,
    Skinhead

18. Elite September 9, 2006 at 2:27 am

JORDANIAN ELITE PLEDGE

“There is no right and wrong anymore. If I crave it, I buy it, someone else will pay for it. And as long as no harm is done to me, I could care less about harm done to others. I will always be on the side of the strongest. We are not ready for democracy. Liberalism is about sex and beer, screw human rights and equality.”

19. Amal September 9, 2006 at 7:41 am

Hey Jeff, I agree, I love Dunkin’ Donuts coffee 🙂

20. dm September 9, 2006 at 11:51 am

I was actually going to mention Dunkin’ Donuts coffee. I have a large addiction to it. Starbucks coffee is just far too strong for my taste, but I do like their other drinks – my favorite being the caramel apple cider. You only find Dunkin’ Donuts in certain parts of the U.S. though. It’s not a very big chain.

21. Brian Ulrich September 9, 2006 at 5:44 pm

Did I mention that the UW-Madison bookstore has “fair trade” coffee?

22. Outsider September 9, 2006 at 6:31 pm

I only want to comment on the disparity of opinion between Natasha and ABOUD. As an Israeli, I definitely would inflict my distrustful judgment on my culture, social order, and society if, for an instance, Hezbollah, Syria, or Iran opened a coffee shop in any part of the world and generated profits for their agenda or cause. As an American also, I would undeniably fight to close that coffee shop that is operated by an unfriendly entity. It is not bigotry, it is loyalty. In fact, the US closed hundreds of businesses that were operated by citizens of unfriendly nations. It is normal when citizens put their national duties above all impractical, theoretical, and philosophical intellect.
    Even though I love Starbucks and fully support their fund-raising events to Israel, I think ABOUD was politically correct.

23. Pretentiousness kills September 11, 2006 at 1:21 pm

Aboud,

When did the act of boycotting starbucks become a national cause and duty?
    Your personal belief on some rumor of a connection between the founder (not even the owner) of a COFFEE SHOP and Israel became the focal point of your RESISTANCE????
    What a pathetic, easy-way-out approach to fight for your cause. So now you are a better person, and assumes the position of “the arab world protector, savior and prophet” who decides what is a shame and what is not because of a cup of coffee!! WOW!
    I know, I know, it is symbolism for the cause. Well your symbolism means squat. When there are people out there who dedicated their life to making real changes, and sacrificed the trivialities that your life centers around (and I know that for a fact because I know you personally), your expression of patriotism looks very small next to theirs. I am willing to bet you 25 JDs that you at least have one item of clothing that is manufactured or labeled by an American Israel-Supporting brand, if not a few items that carry a plain straight out Hebrew name on it like LEVI.

Just the typical empty, pretentious superficial, faffy-style, Abdoun-bred, simple-minded kind of resistance that we can do without.
    You chose the very-effective starbucks abstinence as your method of resistance, it’s a personal decision. But to brag about it and to try to enforce it on others is just pathetic. Someone chooses to write a column, start a fund or carry a rifle while sipping stasbucks frappuccinos , it is their choice, and that does not make them a sellout or less of an arab than your late-partying, Marlboro-smoking, aimlessly-driving, time-wasting self.

24. Mike September 11, 2006 at 9:14 pm

Hmmmmmm. Dunkin Donuts coffee — a big one — with a cinnamon-laced bearclaw. That’s devine decadence in the morning.

25. kinzi September 12, 2006 at 2:24 am

Well, I guess I can sit here and drink my Austrian Julius Mienl brand without guilt.

Dunkin Donuts coffee is like dark tea! But, yea the bearclaw, I miss that. Enjoy one for me.

26. dm September 12, 2006 at 5:12 pm

“Dunkin Donuts coffee is like dark tea!”

Awwwww, booooo! Haha

I have to agree that although the bearclaws are great, nothing beats their pumpkin muffins in the fall! That with a dunkaccino and I’m all good.

27. kinzi September 13, 2006 at 9:10 am

dm, you win…talking about DD pumpkin muffins to a hungry ex-pat was sweet revenge. I take it back about the coffee if you promise not to remind me of American goodies I can’t get in Jordan. 🙂

28. dm September 13, 2006 at 4:56 pm

Kinzi, it’s a deal my friend 🙂 *shakes hand*

29. Linda September 14, 2006 at 9:14 am

Jeff, you so got it right! Whats up with waiting in long lines and paying 3 bucks for a cup of coffee? what happened to the good all days when coffee WAS COFFEE? Not Starbucks!

30. Mike September 14, 2006 at 4:48 pm

The cost thing is a good point. I can enjoy a 99 cent French Vanilla, Irish Creme, or Cinnamon Hazelnut at the convenience store when Starbucks asks several more dollars.

Cost makes a difference in taste — which is a double entendre if I ever heard one.

Anyone got a good maple bar recommendation anywhere? I first discovered them as a young boy watching the Atascadero High School Greyhounds play football. Their concession stand had great maple bars, but they are not the most common treat.

31. kinzi September 15, 2006 at 3:21 am

Mike, it that Atascadero in CA? I grew up in Menlo Park. The best maple bars in my memory came from the local greasy bakery.

32. Hani September 18, 2006 at 12:17 pm

-Us will never rock Europe, EUROPE RULES

– “Cups & kilos” coffee in Jordan is pretty good, no need for the 30 minutes wait.

– The israeli dude here said it, its a matter of lyaltly, nothing more

He there Nattoush … how are ya ??

Hani

33. Winston August 26, 2008 at 8:56 am

Could I offer some advice on the effects of sleep deprivation?

1) Do not take coffee. It only increases the chance of sleep deprivation. Plus it doesnt give you the productivity boost you need

2) Exercise. Even a simple walk to the nearby grocery store would do wonders with your sleep habits.

3) Water. Water makes sure that you get hydrated. Hydration equals to better cell regeneration. Better cell regeneration equals to lesser chance of isomnia

More of those tips can be found here : http://www.siakoi.com/health/sleep-deprivation-how-do-we-conquer-it.html