Been busy eating

Six sisters restaurant Dinner with Ajlounieh and family The Dance

I haven’t updated this blog for a little bit. The reason: We’ve been busy eating. For the past two weeks or so we have been overwhelmed by the sheer volume of food available for consumption, courtesy of my mom’s cooking and a myriad of dinners that we’ve been invited to by friends and relatives.

A number of my parents’ friends that happen to live in our area have celebrated my parents’ arrival by feeding us copious quantities of wonderful Jordanian/Arabic food. All of my cravings from last year have been sated. So far I have savored Mansaf, Maglubeh, Warg Dawali, Knafeh, Ma3moul, among other delicacies.

We’ve really been humbled by the degree of generosity and kindness we have encountered. My parents were even invited to a dinner by Ajlounieh’s parents, whom they had never met before. Tonight, we are invited to dinner at Leilouta’s place. Arab generosity never ceases to amaze me.

1. hamede January 8, 2007 at 1:22 pm

Wow the food look excellent.

2. jareer January 8, 2007 at 2:44 pm

Arab generosity ! I doubt it strongly; but hospitality and generosity in this area, big yesss.

3. jameed January 8, 2007 at 7:39 pm

El muhim, t3allamti totbokhi ishi? shorabet 3adas mathalan?

4. 3arabi January 9, 2007 at 6:12 am

Wow, you are lucky to have all these great Palestinian meals well except for mansaf which is Jordanian I guess, but lucky to MaQloubeh, WaraK Dawali, Nabulsi Knafeh

Fantastic really

5. Averroes January 11, 2007 at 5:48 am

Well..its interesting to have my first visit to your blog coincide with a big feast..although only visually for us..that sfee7a looks good by the way..hmmm..I think I need to go get myself a bite!

6. adam January 11, 2007 at 6:00 pm

Still eating?

7. Hamako January 12, 2007 at 12:54 pm

Khodlak 3ad, ballashna 3onsorieh bil akel kaman, knafeh nabilsieh willa mansaf urdoni shu farga 3indak ilmohim kollo zaaki. Willa hadak, I dont know about arab generosity.

8. Ajlounieh January 12, 2007 at 12:58 pm

Natasha is a great cook – I can attest to that. And while I do not want to start up an East Bank – West Bank rivalry, she was pretty lucky to have a great Mansaf, too! Our family was lucky to have such great company over our house. We had a wonderful time šŸ™‚

9. 3arabi January 12, 2007 at 2:06 pm

Excellent, I love mansaf as well.

10. Averroes January 13, 2007 at 9:27 am

so food has to fall into geo-political affiliations too? that’s the problem with some people..no offence to the respected person above..no wonder there’s political unrest west of the Jordan, some minds thrive on this being ours..and that being there’s

Mansaf, on the other hand..is ours..all of us.

11. jareer January 13, 2007 at 11:25 am

“Ours” ; You mean Jordanians, right ?

12. Jorlastini January 13, 2007 at 1:56 pm

yes the food is OURS.

Regards,
    Jorlastini

13. 3adi January 13, 2007 at 3:14 pm

No proof “3arabi” is a palestinian. he could be Sholomo for all we know.

Tis the season for sectarianism, factionalism, provincialism, and tribalism. Tra la la la la la la la la.

14. 3arabi January 14, 2007 at 6:28 am

Lets not get into the reasons why there are problems West of Jordan because it will open up a can of worms that many would not want to open.

As far as politicizing the food deal, I’m not, I just find this whole “Jordanian” blogging thing very fanatic. Since when there is Christmas the Jordanian way eating “Magloobeh”. Why can’t we just say te Arabic way for example.

This blog is called scribles from accross the Middle East, however, it should be Jordan’s blog. Nothing against Jordan, I like Jordan as much as any other person and more, but fanatic people bother me.

Sorry it may offend fanatics, but thats being honest.

Shlomo

15. Averroes January 14, 2007 at 9:13 am

Dear Shlomo,
    I think the point lies within what you said..since when there’s a Jordanian Christmas?? well ever since Christ was born I guess!

Jordanian Blogging is fanatic? let me tell you something..people all around this “beloved” Middle East magnify their national identity..now we might agree that identitiy..in the wider sense..shouldn’t be shrunk into a small detail like citizenship, but you also have to know..that this highway runs both ways..if you shrink yours to have the exclusive rights for food..and apparently Christmas..you should also expect a similar response from others.

Again, when someone is proud of having a “Jordanian Christmas”, its their right..its their party and they’ll eat what they want to..

With apologies to Lesley Gore!

16. 3arabi January 14, 2007 at 3:03 pm

“To make a long story short..the food which started this civil war is not the exclusive right to any side of the river, or any part of the Levant for that matter..unless someone somewhere has a patent signed by chef Ramzi..or someone of his culenary caliber.”

Thanks for giving me a good laugh.

And you obviously missed the point here, my post was not specific just to this posting, but either way, I’ll let you run up and down your highway.

Shlomo

17. Averroes January 14, 2007 at 3:45 pm

My pleasure..My post wasn’t spacific to this posting either..it was a simple observation.

As for the highway..I don’t own it, nor did I create it..I’m quite happy watching passers by..offering the occasional nonbelligerent meal..both mansaf and other delicacies are available.

Meanwhile..I’ll let you..finish your anthropological research into the origins of magloobeh.

18. jareer January 14, 2007 at 5:00 pm

Maglobeh is Jordaian in origin. It comes from the well-known -Jordanian expression: Iglib wijhak!

19. 3arabi January 14, 2007 at 10:48 pm

Jareer the generous

Glad to hear that, why don’t you do just that lol

Shlomo