Blast from the past: Zahran Steet 1955 vs. today!

UPDATE 2: My friend Sinan has provided me with a picture showing the detail of the very same location (circled in red) in the context of all the recent development.

UPDATE: I received a recent picture of this same location today from a slightly different angle. Thanks again Scooby! I’m going to reorient the page for comparison. Amazing!

Zahran St. Circa 1955 Zahran Street today Zahran Circa 2003

Reader and friend Scooby provided me with this phenomenal
picture of Zahran Street in 1955 [And the new one after the update]. It goes without saying that that the development that has occurred throughout the years to this street and to the city of Amman generally is mind-boggling.

Can anyone provide me with a more recent picture more recent pictures of Zahran Street?

1. khalaf February 6, 2007 at 9:57 am

My mouth is hanging open! What is that building anyway? Is it the old parliament building on the first circle?

2. Hamzeh N. February 6, 2007 at 11:41 am

I can’t tell what building this is, but if I had to guess I’d say it’s the palace.

It’s pretty amazing how empty the background was then, and how busy it is today.

3. nido February 6, 2007 at 1:37 pm

I can’t believe my eyes!! I used to walk all the way from the 5th circle to the 3rd, and never thought it had ever been calmer! thnx for sharing natasha:)

4. Scooby February 6, 2007 at 3:34 pm

Can’t say that I know what that building is. May need a little digging into.

5. Shihadeh Kitami February 6, 2007 at 11:09 pm

There are no development in Jordam,it’s only degradation of the eviorement.With this fast pase degradation of the country,”development”,future generation will have to pay heavy price,polution at all time high,agricultural land is disappearing and your picture is prove of that,Abdoun,Swaifieha and the land of west of Amman were once one of the most prime agricultural land in Jordan.Iam afraid we are heading toward bleak and dark path.Correct me if Iam wrong.

6. Hamako February 7, 2007 at 8:19 am

Shihadeh,

We also dont live in tents anymore. Not that I have anything against that, but you get the picture.

The land in Jordan, be it East or West, is largely un-agricultural due to climate and water supplies, or lack thereof. Therefore, economics dictates that it is more rational for one to open up a store which sells vegetables on that piece of land rather than grows it – yields, returns, opportunity cost and all that fun stuff.

Surely, there is something to be said about sustainable development, but I think ‘bleak and dark’ is a little overboard.

7. jareer February 7, 2007 at 9:48 am

Goats and sheep wondering in the area would have a better environment with less polution if no buldings were built in the area. I agree.

8. Shihadeh Kitami February 7, 2007 at 5:56 pm

Posted by: Hamako | Feb 7, 2007 8:19:46 AM | Email this comment

Hamako,,Let us set the record straight,we can’t have economic development without the protection of the eviorment,it’s very simple equation we can’t have urban environment without clean air and water,we can’t have vegetables markets,if we can’t grow it ourselves.”Economic development” can’t be implemented without serious scientific sustainable practices and research have been building randamly for long time,and it’s time to put on the breaks and think and study our options understand that we have 3% of arable land,but that does not give the right to destroy what we have.My family has Olive and grape orchard in Al Salat mountain and I can see the massive urban sprawl encashing toward these mountains we don’t implement good sustainable practices,yes we are heading toward bleak and very dangerous path that our children will never forgive us for being short sighted and selfish,Land does not belong to me or to you,it belongs to Mother Earth.

9. Dave February 8, 2007 at 1:17 am

Wow, are you sure that’s Zahran? That building probably doesn’t exist anymore.

10. 3anon February 9, 2007 at 8:31 am

Its amazing, one picture or one line, and all the Jordanians are become economists, enviromentalists, politicians, doctors, lawyers. Fantastic, no wonder its a screwed up society.

11. jareer February 9, 2007 at 9:03 am

3anon,
    You forgot “humorous” and “sarcastics !”

12. Scooby February 9, 2007 at 4:08 pm

I know that you’re all going to gang-up on me if you see this, but I just had to say something. With respect to the last two comments above about Jordanians, we should add: “and incapable of writing in English using proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation.”

It is brutal up there, folks.

13. jareer February 9, 2007 at 4:35 pm

What does ” scribbles” mean to you ? Shakespeare zamanak !

14. Scooby February 9, 2007 at 4:53 pm

And the abuse begins. . . And look who it is, practically the worst offender out there. What a surprise!

My comment was intended to be good natured, so let’s keep it civil, please. I meant no disrespect, so regards to all, including you Jareer.

15. jareer February 10, 2007 at 8:54 am

Scooby,
    You are funny indeed ! ( it might need a full stop, not an “!” , but who cares ?)
    You are judging my poor writing, call me abuser, and offender, and then ask to understand your comments as good natured ! You can add this quality for Jordanians as well: confused !

16. Scooby February 10, 2007 at 11:59 am

Jareer:

Yet again, your last entry proves my point.

On an unrelated note, you are correct; we are a confused people!

17. witness February 11, 2007 at 1:07 pm

Wow how Man can change the perspective of things !
    I have seen your album of Jordan and i find the shadow picture verry smart šŸ™‚

18. UmmZaid February 12, 2007 at 4:21 pm

Unbelievable. Whenever I see older buildings, smushed in between the new ones, I wonder what it looked like 50 years ago (or even 20 years ago…).

19. fairfax boy February 18, 2007 at 2:17 pm

Palestinians built Amman from the ground up. you East Bankers have a lot to learn.

20. jareer February 19, 2007 at 9:51 am

fairfax,
    Thanks for building it up for us; we always appreciate what others do to us to enjoy. I hope though, others would appreciate what Jordan does to them !

21. GermanArab July 3, 2007 at 5:52 pm

well,,, well,,, well.
    whether east or west bankers… Jordan is for Jordanians … whoever was denied Jordanian citizenship and feels so jealous and has to remind us all the time of east and west bankers… try to be more intelligent and see that your jealousy brought you here… its not easy to find this blog this topic writing a comment etc… your effort is appreciated as it only demonstrates your jealousy our success and your failure. (defeated retarded individuals)

22. Hala September 20, 2007 at 8:01 pm

hey ,
    i’m doing a research about zahran street, i’m an architecture student at jordan university of science and technology,
    the GMA has already taken steps in the procedure of development of zahran street(1st circle-8th circle),
    well, if i may please ask for any pictures that anyone have of zahran street in the past, or any other information that might help me in my research,
    my email is vanilla_powder@hotmail.com