Jordan-Syria call for international help dealing with Iraqi refugees

This is a quick update to my earlier post about the situation of Iraqis at Jordan’s entry point. According to the Associated Press, Jordan and Syria are calling on the international community for help.

AMMAN, Jordan –Jordan and Syria complained Thursday they have been abandoned by the West to deal with the massive burden of more than 2 million Iraqi refugees who have fled the violence in their homeland. Both countries issued urgent calls for help at a conference on Iraqi refugees, specifically expanded resettlement opportunities in the West and financial assistance.

Milad Atiya, the Syrian ambassador to Jordan and head of his country’s delegation to the conference, said the international community "must be involved, especially the United States because its policy led to the plight the Iraqis are currently in and it bears responsibility." Jordanian Interior Ministry Secretary-General Mukheimar Abu-Jamous argued that Western nations "relinquished their responsibility in shouldering the Iraqi refugee burden, and we urge them to rise to their obligation and resettle the largest number possible of those Iraqis." Source: [AP]

This is a good step towards improving the dire status. International intervention is what is needed at this moment and it is precisely what I suggested in the previous post.

1. Hareega July 26, 2007 at 4:39 pm

I don’t think many countries would respond to that and I don’t blame them. They didn’t create the mess and they’re not responsible for fixing it. Tjose who created this tragic situation should try to fix it.

2. Craig July 26, 2007 at 6:46 pm

Hareega,

I don’t think many countries would respond to that and I don’t blame them.

I don’t think many will, either. The US has taken in millions of refugees in the past, and it’s usually worked out OK, but this is different. As to other countries (specifically the west) – their populations are already voting for drastically restricted immigration, despite the politicians claiming that Europe needs immigrants. A European government would have to be suicidally stupid to authorize hundreds of thousands of Iraqi refugees entering their country as immigrants. And say what you will, refugees that move to western countries *are* immigrants. They never go home again, and they do become citizens.

If there is any action to be taken, it will have to be done in place.

Who would that be? Saudi Arabia and Iran?

I already know that you will claim the US caused the mess, but there weren’t large numbers of Iraqi refugees in 2003 and 2004. So, did the US really cause the problem? Only if you want to play word games. Which I do not. It isn’t teh US that is making life unbearable for Iraqis.

3. Craig July 26, 2007 at 6:54 pm

PS:

That applies to the US as well. The doesn’t *need* immigrants. That’s a lie, told by business interests (Republicans) who want cheap labor, and politicians who want new voters for their political party (Democrats).

80% of Americans want immigration curtailed dramatically. And so, it will be. Come hell or high water, and no amount of bitching, complaining and lying by Federal officials will change that. Same in Europe. The populations do not want unrestricted immigration. And so, that is what will happen – immigration will be restricted.

And did you ever notice it is only western Europe that supposedly wants immigrants? Not Eastern Europe? Ever wonder why that is? I’m thinking, Eastern Europe already has plenty of cheap labor, and doesn’t need nor want any more. Actually, Western Europe could probably get all the cheap labor it needs from Russia and Eastern Europe. No need to import people from anywhere else. Isn’t that what the European Union is supposed to be all about? Putting Europe first?

4. dm July 27, 2007 at 11:43 am

Tjose who created this tragic situation should try to fix it.

1st of all, the U.S. has COUNTLESS refugees from everywhere — don’t even go there.

Notice how everyone blames the U.S. but there is absolutely no mention of the countless insurgents blowing themselves up along with countless innocent Iraqis. There’s also no mention of the good things that the U.S. has done. The insurgents kidnap hundreds of thousands of Iraqis, Americans, Europeans, etc. They have a vile thirst for killing, and their mission is to kill EVERYONE in the world who isn’t just like them. All of you who solely blame the U.S. — the insurgents want you dead too. THEY are the ones causing majority of the misery over there, not the U.S.

Just for the record, I want the U.S. troops out of Iraq as much as you do, although some of my reasons I’m sure are different from yours. I hate that the innocent is suffering.

5. Hareega July 27, 2007 at 12:41 pm

Craig… I hope that you admit that if Saddam (who I truly hate) was in power nothing of that would have happened. Yes the US ,with other countries, are responsible for what’s happening.
    There were not many refugees in 2003 and 2004 because people waited, it’s very difficult for someone to leave his country (that’s why there are still 20 million Iraqis in Iraq), but as people saw nothing is getting better they started leaving.
    When people flee their country to a neighboring country that they don’t necessarily like because of an unncecssary war that was started that’s not called an immigration.

dm… tell me about one single terrorist attack by insurgents or someone blowing homself up in a Baghdad street before the war. Yes there were countless human rights violations during Saddam’s regime but there was nobody blowing himself up in a street that’s why you didn’t see two million Iraqis fleeing their country in three years.
    If the instability that took place in Iraq occured in any other country in the region yiou’ll find lots of people blowing themselves up in different srteets and killing civilians, but you need a good regime or system that knows that and controls it one way or another. It looks like Bush had no idea about that.

6. dm July 27, 2007 at 2:32 pm

Wait a minute — are you saying that the U.S. is to blame for the insurgents actions? You’re not going to put ANY of the responsibility on the insurgents’ warped minds? It’s all the U.S.’s fault that grown men and women are blowing themselves up, killing countless people. PLEASE tell me you aren’t saying that. Since when are adults not accountable for their own actions?

As for it not happening before the war — these insurgents are part of al Qaeda. Al Qaeda has been killing innocent people since LONG before the U.S. invaded Baghdad. They’ve been killing innocent people for years. Maybe not as many Iraqis, but don’t try to tell me that no one was ever killed in Baghdad before 2003 by these monsters.

Is that the U.S.’s fault too? Is Osama Bin Laden just an innocent victim, or can we hold him responsible for his heinous acts against humanity? Yes I know he is a Saudi, but he has ties with the insurgents in Iraq.

7. Craig July 27, 2007 at 4:17 pm

Hareega,

Word games. I thought I said I wasn’t interested? The invasion and occupation didn’t cause the refugee crisis. The slaughter of innocent Iraqis but “insurgents” and “militias”, the sectarian violence, the driving people out of their homes by both shia and sunni militant groups, so on and so forth, the persecution of Christians, the murder of students at schools for being the wrong sect, the slaughter of Iraqi academics and intellectuals, the targeting of journalists and politicians, the targeting of Iraqi police, and revenge killings, the sabotage of power plants and power lines, the sabotage of oil pipelines, the bombings of marketplaces, the forced closure of “un-Islamic” businesses, so on and so forth…

That is what is causing the mass exodus.

No, the reason there wasn’t a mass exodus in 2003 and 2004 is that things weren’t very bad in Iraq, then. Not because people “waited”. A refugee crisis happens suddenly, and for very specific reasons. There have been dozens of mass exoduses during my lifetime, and I can’t recall a single one that wasn’t an immediate reaction to horrific living conditions.

No, it’s not. It is immigration, though, whatever it’s called. There are literally millions of US citizens here in the Los Angeles area who came to America as refugees, from such places as Vietnam, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Cambodia, Iran, Lebanon, Somalia… the list is endless.

We have a lot of Palestinian refugees (or their descendants) in the US as well, by the way, most of whom are now citizens.

8. Craig July 27, 2007 at 4:44 pm

Hareega,

Have you forgotten the massive humanitarian crisis for Iraqi Kurds in the 1990s!?

Have you forgotten Saddam’s slaughter of the Shia after the Gulf War!?

Have you forgotten the hundreds of thousands of Iraqis who STARVED TO DEATH in the 1990s because Saddam wouldn’t LET THEM LEAVE?

It would almost seem that Saddam was a saint, and Iraq was a paradise during the 1990s, to hear some people tell the story now, wouldn’t it? What happened to the mantra that UN sanctions on Iraq during the 1990s were responsible for the deaths of possibly millions of Iraqis, Hareega? Was that all just imaginary horror?

9. Mohanned July 27, 2007 at 4:57 pm

Craig,
    Yes militias caused this, but who armed those militias, america says it’s iran, and I also say it’s iran.Now the Us is arming sunnies but the shiete leadership are not liking it, no? So who is responsible, jordan? Me, my family, the average jordanian who now can’t afford to buy an appartment? Is it the jordanian kids who now has to sit is classrooms with 50 other kids? Is it jordanians who now has the water delivered once a week?

The government says we have 750,000 iraqi refugees, but unofficial numbers(which in our countries are usually more accurate) say we have 1-1.5 million added to a country of 5 million in the span of 2 years! If we do some math, it is like the US accepting 60 million “immigrants” in tow years! Maybe the US can handle that, but what about jordan?

When we debated about Nas’s profiling at the US I simply gave the US a piece of advice, but I know that my advice won’t make a difference, but I feel that this my duty to care for the people of a country who gave me a chance to educate myself and earn a degree, but the case in jordan is different we live in a region that is boiling and our security agenices can’t cope with that amount of unidentified people; maybe the majority of them are just escaping the killing but we in jordan are targeted more than you in the US and you know the reasons so we can’t afford it anymore, I say that’s it! If nobody steps up and do what has to be done, no one has the right to complain about jordan!

And regarding the US presence in Iraq, let me tell you this and I think people in washington know that because I heard them say it: Iraq needs a STRONG man Period.

10. Craig July 28, 2007 at 1:42 am

Mohanned, I don’t disagree with your comment. But what is to be done? I think the only realistic solution is for the UN to get serious about providing humanitarian aid, in place. And yes, I mean primarily with American money. The UN is actually pretty good at providing humanitarian relief. It’s about the only thing the UN can do well. I don’t know what the long term solution is, but obviously one must be found.

11. Hareega July 28, 2007 at 11:56 am

Dm and Craig,
    The insurgents present now in Iraq would have been present in any Arab or Middle Eastern country if instability was created inside them. These insurgents come from many countries Jordan included. After the was these militant groups received funding from Iran and probably some other Arab countries. They might have been some al-Qaeda members in IRaq, as there are probably other members who are from alQaeda or share the same ideology with it inside every Arab country and mnay countries in Europe and the US itself, but it’s up to the political system to find them or at least prevent them from working.
    There are different ways to do that, could be by mass executions like Saddam and Syria did in the past or by stong intelligence like other countries do. It’s clear Bush administration still has no clue about what to do about it.

Craig, yes Saddam was responsible for many hmunaitarian crises, that’s why he was executed.

I know that the US accepted many refugees, that’s a great thing about America. But when a country starts an unnecessary war, it should be at least partially responsible for its consequences.

12. Craig July 30, 2007 at 5:11 am

NGOs report humanitarian crisis in Iraq

LONDON – About 8 million Iraqis — nearly a third of the population — need immediate emergency aid because of the humanitarian crisis caused by the war, relief agencies said Monday.

That article also says many NGOs will not accept aid money from countries that have troops in Iraq. It also says many NGOs will not even operate in Iraq, due to the poor security, which is a major problem since 6 million of the 8 million Iraqis who need aid are in Iraq itself. I think the UN closed its operations in Iraq back 2003 after the bombing of the UN headquarters.

I don’t really know what can be done, but I don’t think it is feasible for 8 million Iraqis to be permanently relocated to other countries. And I have to say, I understand the US reluctance to accept Iraqi refugees. This is not a typical situation where a majority of refugees are fleeing tyranny or famine, drought, etc. It is impossible to know the ideology of the bulk of those Iraqi refugees, or what they would do (or may do) once relocated. Many of them may be former Baathists or former insurgents, driven out by the sectarian violence. Many of them may even be former shia militia members. I’ve read a number of articles that say the sectarian violence has followed Iraqis into Syria. I don’t know about Jordan. After seeing a large number of Iraqi bloggers gleefully commenting that Iraqis should pay the US back by fighting their war in America, I personally don’t think it’d be a good idea to accept a lot of Iraqi refugees into the US that we don’t really know anything about. And it is impossible for us to do adequate checks on their background. Somebody who says they want Asylum could be anyone. Anyone at all. We’d never know. And even if it was only 1% of the people we took in who harbored us ill will, that would be a major problem.

And I don’t trust Syria’s statements, or intent, at all on this one. Many of the terrorists causing trouble in Lebanon the last couple of months were insurgents in Iraq before they found their way into Lebanon. Via Syria. Wouldn’t that be sweet, if Syria could find a way to ship some of those asshats to the US as “refugees”?

13. AlurduniAlhurr July 30, 2007 at 12:07 pm

I just have one simple question for Graig and the rest of you,if US was invaded by foreign troops,and after short time ,group of Americans such as , patriotic American,such as Patrick Henry who once said,while fighting, the British “give me freedom or give death”, decided to fight and mobilised against the foreign invaders, will you ,Graig and the rest of you,call them terrorist, insurgents or freedom fighters ????
    Please ansewer the question.

14. dm July 30, 2007 at 12:42 pm

If they were killing other innocent Americans, holding them hostage, torturing innocent people, I’d call them terrorists. Mind you that the insurgents (yes, TERRORISTS) are killing more innocent Iraqis and other Arabs than anyone else. If a group of crazy Americans started blowing themselves up in downtown Boston, NYC, Baltimore, DC, wherever — they’d certainly be terrorists in my book, and that’s EXACTLY what the insurgents are. There’s your answer.

15. Craig July 30, 2007 at 1:01 pm

AlurduniAlhurr, I would use whatever label was appropriate to their behavior. As far as I know, there isn’t a single militant group in Iraq that is resisting occupation lawfully, and none of the groups are entitled therefore to be called “insurgent”. All of the groups are murderous criminals. All victimize the innocent as a primary modus operandi.

But what does the label that gets applied to militants in Iraq have to do with refugees?

16. AlurduniAlhurr July 30, 2007 at 6:09 pm

or high crime??? And before you answer, think of the tens of thousands of civilian that were killed by this illegal invasion.

17. dm July 30, 2007 at 6:52 pm

One more question for both of you, Does invasion and Massive bombardement of civilian infurstucture that was justified by a lie, considered terrorism or high crime???

I never said I agree with this war and the invasion of Iraq. I’ve been against it from day 1. It seems like you are making excuses for al Qaeda. More innocent Iraqis have died at Arab hands than American. Every day hundreds of Iraqis are MURDERED by the al Qaeda. No, the U.S. isn’t perfect, and yes, I disagree with the invasion of Iraq, but don’t try to make excuses for the terrorists because that just makes me sick. Seems like I can admit when my country makes a mistake, but you are unwilling to admit that the “insurgents”, “freedom fighters (your words)” and terrorists (what they truly are) are wrong. Their purpose, again, is to wipe out the world and if you were in Iraq right now, they’d try to kill you AND your entire family. The U.S. would not be intentionally trying to do that and if they did, those involved would be severely punished. Every American who has intentionally hurt or killed an Iraqi–that we have proof of–is now in prison facing the death penalty. Can’t say that about the insurgents. They’re getting sympathy from people like you.

I abhor people who kill, no matter who they are. Yeah, maybe the insurgents are mad and angry, but them killing other Iraqis is excusable? Those Americans involved in killing innocent Arabs are just as wrong as the insurgents. I get pretty pissed off about a lot of things too, but you don’t see me going out killing people for the hell of it. Just to release some anger? Stop making excuses. Evil is evil, no matter who it is that’s doing it.

18. AlurduniAlhurr July 31, 2007 at 3:17 am

dm,,it seems you getting your facts from Mars,I really really feel sorry for people like and graig,you have all the tools in the world in front of you to find about American gangsterism Just google Man Google and here what happened to the soldiers who committed crimes in Iraq,Jan. 3, 2004 – Two young Iraqis, Zaydun al-Samarrai and Marwan Hassoun, were transporting bathroom fixtures in their truck when it broke down and their trip back home was delayed. As they stood by the side of the road at 10:45 p.m., 15 minutes before the American-imposed curfew in Samarra, an American patrol chanced upon them – and that’s when the trouble started.

19. dm July 31, 2007 at 9:09 am

AlurduniAlhurr,
    Look, you can believe what you want and say what you want. Bottom line is that you are supporting al Qaeda if you think that their actions are justified. That’s sick and twisted, and you’re not doing much for the Arab name by making these excuses. So many Arabs are terrified, horrified, and disgusted with the actions of al Qaeda, and are trying to get people to see that just because one is Arab that doesn’t mean they agree with terrorism. Al Qaeda is evil, those Americans who intentionally kill the innocent are evil and are no better than al Qaeda. Plain and simple. Unlike you, I am not going to make excuses for their actions. They are wrong. You condoning the terrorists actions actually really scares me. I can’t beieve that there are people who actually find excuses for their actions. It’s VERY scary.

20. AlurduniAlhurr July 31, 2007 at 12:27 pm

“Look, you can believe what you want and say what you want. Bottom line is that you are supporting al Qaeda if you think that their actions are justified. That’s sick and twisted, and you’re not doing much for the Arab name by making these excuses.”
    Just show me one word or sentence I wrote that indicate that I support AL Qaeda.

21. Craig July 31, 2007 at 2:03 pm

AlurduniAlhurr,

So you were just asking those questions to get us to “incriminate” ourselves, before condemning us for being Americans, right? 😛

DM may care about your opinions of the US, but i don’t. Have a nice life.

22. Craig July 31, 2007 at 2:05 pm

BTW, next time you post a link to antiwar.com, I’ll bury you in links from Jihadwatch. Don’t be such a punk.

23. dm July 31, 2007 at 5:05 pm

When one condones the actions of another, they are in turn supporting those actions. I do not condone the actions of those who kill innocent people, whether American or Arab. You have been defending the actions of the insurgents and blaming the U.S. — that shows support.

24. AlurduniAlhurr August 2, 2007 at 11:50 am

Just for the record,Any country comes under foreign occupation ,including Iraq has the right to defend it’s self,under international law.
    And again,,Wars are the highest forms of terror.

25. dm August 2, 2007 at 9:01 pm

Oh, well thanks for clearing that up for me. I do have a question though — Just how is killing thousands of innocent Iraqi civilians defending the country of Iraq? The civilians are the threat? Why don’t you go and tell Jill Carroll that it was okay that she was kidnapped and had her life threatened. The insurgents were just defending their country, seeing as how Jill was such a threat and all (those unarmed, innocent, journalists who try to get the true story of how Iraqis are oppressed — they’re some dangerous people you know). Better yet, go tell Tom Fox’s family (the PEACE activist who was AGAINST this war) that it’s okay that he was brutally kidnapped and killed. After all, he was such a threat to Iraq. While you’re at it, go tell Nick Berg’s family the same thing. Hell, Mary Ann Pearl lives in France. Go tell her that her husband’s kidnapping, torture, and beheading is absolutely justified (those journalists you know, such a threat). Tell her not to be sad. They were just defending themselves against an unarmed journalist. No, he wasn’t in Iraq. He was in Pakistan but it is all under al Qaeda. Go ahead, I’m sure that all those people will be relieved to know that al Qaeda was just defending themselves lawfully.

26. AlurduniAlhurr August 3, 2007 at 2:19 am

Most of the kidnapping and killing are done by American supported death squad.

27. dm August 3, 2007 at 9:45 am

Most of the kidnapping and killing are done by American supported death squad.

WOW!!!! AlurduniAlhurr, are you part of al Qaeda because it sure as hell sounds like it! DAMN! I get MY facts from Mercury??? You are one twisted bastard. All the people I mentioned above (and it is proven) are kidnapped, tortured and KILLED by al Qaeda. I would love to see you go tell the families of those who’ve been beheaded, as well as those fortunate enough to have escaped, that it was really the Americans the whole time. For God sakes al Qaeda ADMITS to it. They tape the damn things! They’re PROUD of it! They’re more than happy to kill the Iraqi people too, and have said so.
    AlurduniAlhurr, I’m done with you. You’re a terrorist sympathizer (perhaps you ARE a terrorist) and I want NOTHING to do with you anymore, you twisted nutcase! Good-bye.

28. Craig August 3, 2007 at 3:19 pm

And again,,Wars are the highest forms of terror.

That’s the cliche party-line of an apologist for terrorism. You may not be an actual terrorist, but you are definitely part of the problem.

29. AlurduniAlhurr August 3, 2007 at 8:03 pm

If you need more evidence ,I will be more than glade to provide with more evidence.

30. AlurduniAlhurr August 3, 2007 at 8:35 pm

And you Gaig,,you seem very silly and comedian at the same time.

31. Craig August 3, 2007 at 10:21 pm

I don’t need any more evidence. I made up my mind about you a long time ago 🙂