Father gets reduced sentence for murdering daughter

I’m not really sure why I can’t understand the logic behind the court sentencing mentioned in the article below. Perhaps it is because it is the end of the day and I’m too tired to fully grasp what I read in the Monday edition of The Jordan Times. Can anyone shed some light? Does the article below really state that a man that kills his daughter can get a reduced sentence because of a claim that his daughter "left home without his permission and cursed him"?

The Criminal Court has sentenced a 41-year-old man to seven-and-a-half years in prison after convicting him of murdering his daughter following a domestic argument in November 2006. The tribunal first handed Mohammad A. a 15-year prison term after convicting him of bludgeoning his daughter to death with a club at their family’s home on November 23. But the court immediately reduced the sentence to half "to help the defendant in life and because the victim left home without his permission and cursed him." Source: [The Jordan Times]

If this really is what I think it is then I’m simply speechless. I really have had it with the blatant dehumanization going on in the society in which I grew up. At this moment of my life, I truly believe that Jordan needs to set the investment in malls and towers aside, and instead invest in restructuring its judicial system.

1. AlurduniAlhurr July 30, 2007 at 6:27 pm

You Know Natcha,,I like to thank you for bringing this issue up,but i must say women in Jordan have been pacified for long time by “our” government ,and its time for women to mobilise and organise,you and I can talk about this issue as much as we can,but nothing will change for the betterment of women in Jordan or the Arab world at large,unless we organise and mobilise public opinion.

2. Mohanned July 30, 2007 at 10:22 pm

Actually urduni the government and the royal family pushed for changing the law but the parliment and especially islamists opposed the change. Another point, surveys showed that majority of jordanian women are ok-or even advocate-for violence against women, emad hajjaj once had his take on this specific survey. So it is not always the government, sometimes it is the people, right?

3. AlurduniAlhurr July 31, 2007 at 2:39 am

Mohannad,,don’t you keep blaming the people for their problem,you and I know,”Jordanian” government or I must say the king and his wife are in charge of this government ,and there are reasons the king does want to change or amend the constitution and laws that pertain to women rights in Jordan.
    As you know the king has fig leaf legitimacy in Jordan,especially with Jordanians from Palestinian origin,and for him to protect what’s left of that fig leaf legitimacy has to keep the tribal backing that has always resisted any changes to women human rights laws.

4. Vix July 31, 2007 at 4:57 am

mohannad [Actually urduni the government and the royal family pushed for changing the law but the parliment and especially islamists opposed the change]

Really? so the royal court passes unpopular laws on normalizing with zionists and other killers of arabs as well as other controversial issues such as the new repressive NGO law, amongst dozens of controversial royal decrees that the parliament cannot challenge, but cannot change the honor killing law? that’s strange. or is it possible that the lives of poor Jordanian women are so cheap and that they are best used as disposable tools to score political points against the islamists? as a matter of fact you are dishonest when you blame the islamists since it was NOT the islamists alone who are behind honor killing laws, it’s also your “centrist” pro-regime bloc that preserved honor killing.

5. Elliot July 31, 2007 at 1:57 pm

This is exactly what you think it is. People, in the most literal sense, getting away with murder. I wish we here in the West could display a better judicial system as an example, or anyone for that matter. Despite any efforts the Rule of Law, 90% of the time, gets abused. While a case like the one you mentioned is strikingly inhumane, the root of courthouse crisis’s, is in the ancient, often religious, traditions blanketing the region as a whole. For example, execution by stoning for adulterers and amputating limbs for thieves.

6. Mohanned July 31, 2007 at 10:25 pm

Actually, the “islamists” can’t afford to loose the support of some tirbal face figures for the sake of some women, so yes what you call “islamists” do sell relegion when it comes to their political gains.

“it’s also your “centrist” pro-regime bloc that preserved honor killing.” So me stating my opinion puts me in a political Bloc just like you descirbed, and assumming that I am what you said that gives you the right to kill me? Twisted logic ain’t it? But hey when you fail you blame, so nothing new.

The jordanian community is a tribal one wether you like it or not and for culture to change it needs long time and more education, the government is not innocent but you can’t always blame the government for eveything that you failed in. And I don’t know where you people get your “facts” from, you believing in something doesn’t make it right!

And none of you commented on the survey where the majority jordanian women were more than OK with honor killings and wife abuse? Isn’t that democracy, thats what women want(Jordanian edition) 😛
    Blame, Blame, Blame..Then Fail, fail and fail more!!Why don’t you educate and raise awareness rather than keep saying BLAH BLAH BLAH..

7. Dave August 1, 2007 at 4:15 am

Like you, I was disgusted with this report when I read it. Fortunately you can sense the author’s sarcasm in the writing.

8. Ali August 1, 2007 at 8:33 am

” you can’t always blame the government for eveything that you failed in.”

another smart western-educated arab. don’t blame the government, blame the people. is this what you learned from living in US? poor Bush. if only he were Jordanian. he could have been president for life because it’s never his fault.

when 80% of Jordanians in urban centers who are more educated and more liberal are allotted less than 20% of representation in Jordan’s bogus legislative body, do you expect them to make a difference? you rig the elections, resulting in retarded governments, then you blame the people you have marginalized for failing to change things.

9. Mohanned August 1, 2007 at 8:53 am

And your stats came from?
    Last night dream?
    “when 80% of Jordanians in urban centers who are more educated and more liberal are allotted less than 20% of ”
    Liberal, 80% is that san fransisco?

10. Ward August 1, 2007 at 11:56 am

i said more liberal and more educated than lets say Azraq or Northern Badya. try Reading 01.

as for 80%:

50% of legislator is appointed by king though Majlis A3yaan.
    30% of MP seats come from tribal regions.
    20% of MP seats come from urban regions.
    PM and Ministers are appointed by king.

Do the math. If you can’t. try Math 01.

11. Mohanned August 1, 2007 at 12:09 pm

I suck at math, so please enlighten me with more stats from your dreams! So 80% of jordan is in urban areas.Well hear this, 50% of jordanians from urban areas reside in amman and when they vote they vote in their original city(un-liberal, less educated) so it makes sence:P
    And FYI jordanians in azraq, badiya , salt, maan, karak, etc.. are way more educated and liberal than your urban amman and zarqa! If you don’t know I suggest that you take your car out of urban amman and drive to those areas, knock on the doors and ask how many Doctors and engineers and PhD holders they have, then after that drive back to urban amman and sip some coffee at starbucks that made you more “urban” and “liberal”!

I just read about a village in azraq, its population is 800 and they have 20 PhD holders, wierd right? Maybe they have goals in life other than being urban and liberal by your definition!

12. AlurduniAlhurr August 1, 2007 at 6:36 pm

mohannad,,your popular CD songs( I love the King and I hate the Islamists) are becoming boring redundant and has no value ,enough is enough.

13. Mohanned August 1, 2007 at 7:20 pm

But islamists are singing for the king all day long, or it it ok for them?Hmm.. Anyway I suggest that you re-read my comments here before I hear your -I hate the king, I hate the islamists, I hate america but still I live in it, I hate everything but do nothing mentality,you don’t have any credibility at least with me.

And again nobody answered my question about the survey? Or is it the mukhabarat who told jordanian women to be OK with honor killings and abuse!

“enough is enough.”

Bite me:P

14. AlurduniAlhurr August 2, 2007 at 3:27 am

Mohannad,, What criticism has to do in living in any country??

ما هذا المنطق الاعواج؟؟اذا انا غايش في أمريكا يجب علي أن أكتم فمي وأسكت عن جرائم جورج بوش في العراق وفي فلسطين ولبنان,,وأذا كنت عايش في ألاردن ,لايحق لي أن أنتقد سياسات الملك السافره؟ يا رجل راح تواجه مشاكل عديده عندما تبدء في كتابه رساله الدكتوره لي أنو منطقق أعوج

15. euroarabe August 3, 2007 at 9:19 pm

Natasha,
    Thanks so much for this post.
    I liked what you said about malls etc.
    My first reaction when I went to Jordan two years ago and saw all the “growth” was to notice that so little actual growth had taken place where we needed it.
    There was no real understanding about what it should mean to be a citizen and to be equal and treat others equally.
    People were still being unethical to each other, littering, committing honour crimes without any real punishment.
    Egyptians and Sri-Lankans and Philipinos were still being enslaved.
    Poor refugees from Arab countries lived hellish lives.
    The rich were getting richer and the poor poorer.
    The urban growth and expansion was coming without any planning.
    What should it mean for Jordan to undergo growth?
    It seemed the deeper question was being ignored in favour of something superficial.
    The globalisation and capitalism is young and aggressive and disturbing.
    On some level it was too much for me to bear.

16. euroarabe August 4, 2007 at 6:54 pm