Demolition Derby: A truly baffling pastime

DemoDerby flipoverLast weekend I learned about (and experienced) the American pastime dubbed: Demolition Derby. Thanks to Leiloulta and spouse we made our way to the Montgomery County Fair, which featured the derby among other things.

I have to admit that I was quite baffled watching this demolition take place to the cheers of nearly a thousand spectators. So what is this event exactly? It is a way of getting rid of nearly-dead vehicles by smashing them into other almost-dead vehicles until they die, to the applause of an excited crowd. The winner is the person whose car continues running after all others die.

The testosterone-fueled event was fascinating for me. It’s not that I enjoy destruction or the sight of dead cars. I was intrigued by how my husband along with other male friends in our group were sucked into the event. There is something about cars and demolition that makes such an event as enjoyable to men as, let’s say, tanning on the beach with a Piña Colada is for women. I could not find it in myself to cheer or stomp with the animated crowd, as they did when one car flipped over and a firetruck had to intervene. I got agitated and kept wondering if the driver was okay. Somehow the driver came out unscathed and kept on driving.

Would I attend such an event again? I don’t think so. Been there, done that. Did I regret seeing it? Not at all. It was quite an experience seeing up-close-and-personal how men and women’s interests can be such oceans apart. When I asked my parents, who had accompanied us, what they thought of the event, they simply said: "Crazy!" Crazy indeed.

Smoke and fire Safe in the stands Auto carcassas post battle

1. themuse August 21, 2007 at 12:07 am

Now you’ve got to go see a NASCAR event and wrestling, at least on TV! This is as close as legality goes here toward cock fighting and worse.

Glad you all got to see it at least once.

2. Craig August 21, 2007 at 2:56 am

You have to see at least one Monster Truck rally too, you know!

3. kinzi August 21, 2007 at 8:59 am

Such a guy thing, just a bigger version of what they did with Hotwheel cars as 5 years olds. Kinda like our shopping reflects our Barbie days.

Now, Natasha, you really have seen more of America than I have!

4. Hareega August 21, 2007 at 12:17 pm

If you ever hear a guy saying that women do silly things, remind him of this

5. Elliot August 22, 2007 at 8:27 am

Ah yes, the great American tradition of demolition derby. Symbolic of our recent rich heritage of foreign policy clusterf%$#@!’s over the last eight years; in that when the vehicle has been beaten down, (U.S. post-9/11) for just a second, don’t try to fix it internally (maybe find out if there is a remote possibility WE could have caused the problem, you know, “user error”)but take the beaten down clunker and drive it into a lesser clunker(Iraq).

6. Hamako August 22, 2007 at 10:26 am

Elliot,
    Your parable (analogy of demo derby to US foreign policy) could have had greater literary impact (had you not explained the symbols in brackets).

-Hamako

7. Elliot August 22, 2007 at 11:03 am

Interesting point; noted for future parables. Thanks!

8. Mike August 24, 2007 at 4:08 pm

This sort of experience really isn’t complete without massive amounts of beer and plenty of humor between yourself, spouse and friends — eventually extending to others nearby.

9. Craig August 24, 2007 at 8:17 pm

Elliot would have gotten out of his car to perform diagnostics and repairs, eh? Maybe you should try that some time, Elliot. Let us know how it works out for you.

10. anon August 25, 2007 at 2:58 pm

I can’t believe that this post was turned into an opportunity to start all the political anti-American crap. Why does everything have to lead to this?