Rachel Ray and Dunkin Donuts: My thoughts

Rachael Ray shills for Dunkin Donuts
Reader ‘Dunkin’ asked me my thoughts on the Rachel Ray – Dunkin Donuts controversy. I have been talking about this issue extensively with my coworkers lately, so I’ll just reiterate myself here. I’m extremely disappointed that Dunkin Donuts backed down and listen to a misguided blogger, who is obviously oblivious to Arab and Muslim culture and diversity.

My grandfather, Saliba (whose name means ‘cross’ in Arabic), wore his Kuffayeh almost his entire life. He never took it off. When he used to go to church, he used to take off the rope circlet, which is placed atop the Kuffayeh (iqal), as a sign of respect.

The Kuffayeh is part of the national dress of a whole nation. It is a shame that it is portrayed in this light by a misguided and (I hate to say it) bigoted blogger who referred to the Kuffayeh as "the traditional scarf of Arab men that has come to symbolize murderous Palestinian jihad." It is unfortunately true that the Kuffayeh was worn by extremists during some of their actions but the acts of a minority should not stain the rich and diverse culture of an entire population.

Ms Malkin, my grandfather, Saliba, along with my uncles and cousins have nothing to do with what you referred to as "murderous Palestinian jihad," so you are way off base here. And it is a shame that Dunkin Donuts complied to these bigoted remarks by an ignorant yet influential blogger.

1. Dunkin June 3, 2008 at 6:58 am

You just gave the author of the blog full justification to say what she said.

2. Hamzeh N. June 3, 2008 at 10:06 am

I wonder what Malkin will say if the terrorists start wearing Michelle Malkin masks!

3. Khalaf June 3, 2008 at 10:12 am

Natasha, you say your “grandmother” Saliba. This, obviously, should be corrected.

4. natasha June 3, 2008 at 10:18 am

Ah, whoops, thanks Khalaf for pointing it out. Just corrected it. I wrote this post at 6:30 am in the morning:)

5. jaraad June 3, 2008 at 12:08 pm

Well said!
    I think what happened is something with a big magnitude because this will lead the Arab to hide their identity out of fear to be labeled as terrorists. I am not sure whom to blame here Michelle Malkin, Dunkin’ Donuts, or we the Arab who think of our traditional costume as something from the past that need to be hidden and forgotten.

6. Clama June 4, 2008 at 8:36 am

Comments on the Bama claiming the Democratic Nomination and the idea of a Clama ticket (Clinton and Obma). Also the possibility of a Mcdool ticket (the combination of McCain, Jindal ticket).

How would these teams affect the Middle East, particularly the Palestinian issue. Won’t ask about Jordan, because they tend to suck up to whoever wins and get their money either way.

7. dick June 4, 2008 at 4:40 pm

Sorry, but you’re the bigoted one here. The same symbol can mean different things in different places. What matters is: what does thu symbol means in the place where it’s being shown.

If you visit the Zombie site, which documents demonstrations in Berkeley CA, you’ll notice that the anti-zionist crowd usually comes wearing Kuffayehs. So, regardless of what such dress means in other countries, in the US and Europe, it is a badge linked to particular political beliefs.

These are not political beliefs with which Dunkin Donuts would want to be associated. It did exactly the right thing in pulling this ad.

In India, Hindus regard the swastika as a symbol of the sun god. This doesn’t mean that Dunkin Donuts should have ads with Rachael Ray wearing swastikas, does it? In order to show an understanding of hindu culture and diversity?

8. dm June 4, 2008 at 9:19 pm

I think the whole thing is ridiculous. Rachael Ray is wearing a scarf…a black and white plain ol’ scarf. Nothing more. I highly doubt that Dunkin Donuts had a Kuffayeh in mind when they shot this commercial. Leave it to the “ultra-conservative” FOX news commentator to turn a coffee commercial into something more just for her own political agenda!

9. Scarf June 5, 2008 at 8:49 am

dm, so if they did have her wearing a kuffayeh, then that would be wrong?

Scarf

10. Notdick June 5, 2008 at 8:50 am

Dick is 100% right. He is a dick and thats what he is called, his name is reflective of who he really is.

11. dm June 5, 2008 at 10:03 pm

Scarf,
    When did I ever say that? I could care less what she wears. Why does everything need to be so controversial? Take things at face value sometimes – don’t read so much into it. All I said was that it’s a plain scarf. Please don’t make the same mistake that Michelle Malkin made and turn something into something it isn’t intended to be.

12. Tarek June 9, 2008 at 4:04 am

It’s really sad to see people thinking like this, those Dunkin Donuts guys must be really silly or may be they are chickens and they were afraid that Jews and Zionists may boycott them because of the Kuffeyeh!

13. Green Data June 10, 2008 at 1:27 am

If you don’t mind, I’ve mentioned your post here.

14. Jane September 10, 2008 at 12:13 pm

“Dick” is right. While I’m sure your grandfather and those of his generation were peaceful men, the scarf has been hijacked (no pun intended) by terrorists who see it as part of their terrorist “uniform.” Haven’t you heard the term “terrorist chic”?

15. Jane September 10, 2008 at 12:14 pm

16. Jane September 10, 2008 at 12:14 pm

17. em January 18, 2009 at 5:12 pm

Michelle Malkin is part of the lunatic fringe of the republican party. She’s of the Ann coulter class. I believe she wrote a book in defense of concentration camps. she regularly makes indefensible statements. Mediamatters.org among other blogsites keep track.
    My apologies go out to you for what she implied about the grandfather generation.