If you have always wanted to write the next great American novel, or a best-selling memoir, or even a marketing blog a la Seth Godin, then stop talking about “wanting” and start doing. “Someday” is right now.
Here are my quick tips to get you started:
- Pick a specific time everyday to write and stick with it. Morning is ideal.
- Inspiration is a myth. Start writing and ideas with follow.
- “Amateurs sit and wait for inspiration, the rest of us just get up and go to work.” – Stephen King.
- Create a system to capture your ideas like Apple Notes, Notion or Google Keep.
“Your mind is for having ideas, not holding them.” – David Allen, author of Getting Things Done.
- Read, Read, Read.
“If you don’t have time to read, you don’t have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.” – Stephen King.
- Find an editor: A friend, a colleague a fellow author. Two pairs of eyes are better than one.
What are yo you waiting for? Get to work.
*Photo credit: Lukas Blazek